Thursday, September 24, 2009

"Not Like That, Like This"

It's my least favorite coaching que. It drives me insane. Most of the time I don't even see a difference in the demonstration that follows. But more importantly, as a coach and competitive athlete I think athletes deserve more.

It is a coaches job to use all three modalities of learning- Verbal, Visual, and Kinesthetic. The last being what studies show sticks the most. Don't just mimic a movement for your athletes, describe in detail what is going on. Don't just demonstrate the first pull of the Clean off the floor- describe as you demonstrate, that the arms are vertical, that you are leading with your chest, that it is controlled-not "yanked," etc. And most importantly, place them (yes, with your hands) in the proper position. Make them feel it.

Your athletes WANT to work for you and if they aren't doing something right (even though you keep yelling and yelling at them how to fix it) most likely it's not because they aren't listening or aren't trying or don't want to be better. You're the coach. Use all modalities. Your athletes will be better for it.

Stength:

Split Jerk
133x1x2
143x1x2
153x1x2
163x1x2

Metcon:

800m Run
5rds
3 Power Cleans (130)
5 Pull Ups
10 Push Ups
15 Squats
1 Mile Run
5rds
3 Power Cleans (130)
5 Pull Ups
10 Push Ups
15 Squats
800m Run

34:06

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jocelyn-
    Does your weight usually stay the same regardless of your training or have you noticed that if you do longer, lighter metcon's that it goes down? I would assume an athlete's diet would have more to do with their weight than training, but wanted to get your input. I have had a tendency to stray away from heavy days and focus more on longer metcons. Starting this week, I'm doing strength most days with a metcon at the end and working on eating more paleo.
    --Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait so you think saying not like that but like this is bad coaching? Isnt that how you taught me double unders?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Golden-
    That is exactly how I taught you the double unders. And see how good it worked? You can do a whole 5 in a row!

    Kelly,
    My weight pretty much stays the same regardless of my "style" of CrossFit training. Interstingly enough, my bodyweight actually remains the same (within about 5lbs) even with tweaks in my diet. It's my body composition that changes dramatically which is, in fact, dictated by what I do in the kitchen. So, I can weigh 140lbs and be kind of soft and week, but if I keep my diet clean although I seem to stay about the same weight, I actually lean out and change shape quite a bit. Because of this I really try not to pay much attention to the scale but live by Robb Wolf's words and pay attention to how I look, feel, and perform. Although I do have a certain pair of skinny jeans that I use to gauge how things are going:) Hey, I am a girl after all.

    As for the longer Metcons I have been doing (I plan on posting more specifics about it this week) it has to do with varying my time domains. I've developed a system that I plan on following for the next year where I shuffle through the time domains/energy pathways, movements, etc., in essense leaving no stone unturned. So although there will be lots of varriance, there will be no randomness in that varriance.

    Currently I am very happy with both my physical and performance gains and have come a long way since the Games (when I bomed that damn run!)

    Thanks for commenting. Hope that helped!

    ReplyDelete