Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fine, I'll go for a run

Yesterday: I was just having so much fun olympic lifting. So I started out in an efort to Snatch and Clean and Jerk for a 3rd day in a row. After a few snatch attempts I realized I was pretty fatigued. So I decided to C&J instead. But the result was the same. So I hung it up and went through my journal. It had been a while since I did anything in a longer time domain- specifically a longer run. And since I had made the commitment to mix up my time domains, weight volumes, and movements I sucked it up and went for the long run.

Workout:
5K

Me-30:02

I mapped out 5k On http://www.mapmyrun.com/ so I know it was pretty exact. It was cold out and while I was running (and complaining diligently in my head) a few things dawned on me. This is only hard because it's boring and it hurts my joints. Other than that, after everything else we do, it's quite easy. My lungs were fine. I could have had a conversation the entire run. Granted I was going SLOW because with every step I could feel the pounding in my joints- my ankles, knees, and mostly hips. It was really uncomfortable. Not the kind of discomfort that comes from pushing it in a metcon or heaving through a heavy lift. But an annoying pain in the joint with each step. It was the only thing keeping me from going faster.

I wondered why it hurt like that. And why simply running a 5k hurt more than long light metcons- even those with 2 to 3 miles worth of running. Here's what I decided:

1. It's boring. It's just one foot in front of the other for 20-30 minutes, depending on the day.
2. It's more painfull because my muscles stiffen up because my joints are not moving through a full range of motion. In other metcons with lots of running, there is deadlifts, or cleans or wall balls- something that keeps you stretched out, something to break up the motonony.
3. It was cold out. I'm a baby.
4. I decided I hate doing it. It's true. Your thinking patterns have a huge impact on your ability and success (or lack thereof). If I would just decide to attack this like anything else, it wouldn't be that bad.

So really, running isn't that hard (at least running 5-10k) physically. The worthinessness of putting it into my training regimine (in my opinion) comes down to one BIG important thing: It's great mental toughness training.

I need to change my attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment