Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"I can't believe how strong I am!"

*www.cathletics.com

That's what I said after my 3rd set of Back Squats (5x5 of course) at 218lbs (99kg). When I walked into the gym sore and tired from the previous day's "Fire-breather" workouts, I didn't think it was going to happen. The numbers on paper just looked too big, and I was just too beat up. But I was going to give it a shot anyway because, well, that's what was on the menu.

After about the 3rd set I racked the bar and shouted, "I can't believe how strong I am!" Seriously, up until about two weeks ago the most I had done for a 5x5 was 205lbs- then last week when I thought 213lbs was going to be tough I surprised myself, and yet again this week at 218lbs I couldn't believe how solid each set was. Every rep- ass to grass, and although challenging, at no moment did I hit any questionable sticking point where I thought I might not be able to finish. That's 13lbs added to my 5x5 in just two weeks!

Hey, it's almost like this stuff works.

Squat
218x5
218x5
218x5
218x5
218x5

Good Mornings
113lbsx5x5

Sprints- 1 min rest between each
200m :52
400m 1:43
100m :26
200m :47
100m :24
400m 1:45
200m :44

5 comments:

  1. Been reading your blog for a little while, Wanted to say congrats on the gains with the strength work you have been doing. Snatching over your weight, that's freakin awesome! You planning to compete in the games this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy! Going to the games is the goal. I'm thinking our qualifier is going to be the toughest part- I'm more nervous about that than competing in the actual games. Where are you from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jocelyn, I am from Chicago, just won the Midwest qualifier a few weeks back (total surprise) I just wanted a Top 30 spot....now I have to take this training thing seriously ;)

    Funny thing, I have a Berner, actually on my second one, my first one lives in Australia with my ex... they are the BEST dogs ever, you will never regret getting one... Well except the days when you find dog hair in funny places like my veggie omelet this morning.. Are you getting a girl or boy? Where from?

    When is your qualifier, I assume you get to skip the sectional and go straight to the regional?

    Anyway, keep up the good work, your numbers are going through the roof, I need to include some of your workouts in my programming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! That is awesome! With the number of people involved in CrossFit these days winning a sectional qualifier is no joke. Props!

    I've actually owned a berner too who now lives with my ex. What a coincidence. She's a girl but this time were getting a boy. He's going to be big too- his dad is 130 lbs. I agree, they are the best dogs ever.

    My regional is May 8th and 9th down in Southern California. Best of luck to you and hopefully we'll see each other at the games!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be at the games for sure, whether it be as a competitor or spectator. My next Berner will be a boy, girls can be a little too hard headed and I find myself playing the "Who's the alpha game" often.

    I hope you know to avoid the cardinal berner mistake.... don't let em sleep in your bed otherwise it will become a nightmare.... they will always want to sleep with you, they hog the bed and make it shake from their panting. My first one cried so much in the beginning I just gave in and let her sleep with us... bad bad bad idea on my part, we had a hard time getting her to sleep in her room or outside in her dog house..


    Can't wait to see pics of your little one. Keep up the hard work and stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete