Friday, December 31, 2010

Goal Time

My strength and conditioning coach in college (who was a major inspiration in my life) once said to me, "Jocelyn, it just gets better." And you know what? She was right!

I've told that story time and time again and it ALWAYS holds true. Which is why I'm very excited for 2011. Happy New Year everyone! The New Year marks the most natural time to set new goals. As a life long competitive athlete it seems to be something I've done my whole life. And just like anything else, there's an art to setting new goals. In a nutshell, they've got to be Specific, Measurable and Achievable.

The thing I've found to be true over the years, however, is that goal setting can be kind of scary. I mean, what if I don't reach my goals? What is that going to feel like? What will people think of me? And not to sound all emo or anything, what will it all mean?

But that's kind of the point. You've got to put something on the line to keep yourself accountable. Not only do you need to articulate what it is you are trying to accomplish so that you can figure out the best way to get there, but you need to put it out there (at least to a degree) so that fear (of failing) can be the very thing that fuels your fire.

And the thing is, sometimes you will win and sometimes you will fail.

I think what separates the best athletes from the average ones is how they respond to failure. Or rather, how failure motivates them to work even harder. When you really want something, I mean really want it, and you put everything on the line to achieve it, failure can hurt pretty bad. But it's the people who never put anything on the line to begin with (thus avoiding the hurt of failure all together) that never achieve anything great.

Having said that my no. 1 long term goal is to win a medal at Nationals (Olympic Weightlifting) within the next two years.

A few of the things I'm going to do to get there is to:

1) Continue trusting and following my program (by Greg Everett at Catalyst Athletics) giving diligent focus to the precision and technique in my lifts.
2) Make sleep and recovery a major priority (the thing I believe to be my biggest setback in making gains) even if it means cutting back on some work and/or making less money.
3) And in my lifts, by Nationals this summer, I want to Squat 300lbs (136kg), Snatch 187lbs (85kg) and C&J 231lbs (105kg).

There it is, on the line.

TODAY:

3 Pos Snatch (Full, Above Knee, Mid Thigh)
123lbs (56kg) x3x3
133lbs (60kg) x3x3
yaow-sa!

Snatch Pulls
168lbs (76kg) x5x5

Snatch Push Press
133lbs (60kg) x5x5

No comments:

Post a Comment